Monday, January 26, 2009

There are many uses for hair....

Back in the day, nothing was wasted. Our pioneer ancestors were resourceful enough to save their own hair and turn it into household decor. Sometimes these hair wreaths were made to honor the deceased. Sometimes they contained hair from all members of a family and were arranged in a sort of a family tree like the one pictured above. Just another way to track your family history.
On occasion church groups would create a wreath in remembrance of their sisterhood. Hmmmmm maybe that's an idea for an Enrichment activity.
The first time I saw these in person they kind of scared me. It's just a little too "personal" to see parts of someone else's body hanging on the wall as artwork. Sometimes hair was made into bracelets, brooches or earrings. Ewwwwww

The way the economy is going....I may be making homemade Christmas gifts next year. I think I'll start saving my hair now. If your lucky you'll be receiving one of these from me as a Christmas gift.

1 comment:

NAT said...

Wow. That is so interesting! I honestly never knew that. Speaking of hair, I've always loved yours. It's beautiful.

Oh, and NO I am NOT pregnant. Holy Crap, I would be a wreck. I'm finding that having two kids is tough stuff and it will be a while before I think about having more.